Smart City

Smart City

Saturday, April 10, 2021

The State of the Art for IOT

The term “Internet of Things” was coined by Kevin Ashton in 1999. After a lot of hype, we are finally seeing it come to fruition, in part due to advances in cloud and edge computing.

The principles of Reactive Systems really shine when applied to the Internet of Things (IoT). I worked for over a decade in the somewhat related field of industrial automation. We naturally converged on many of the same patterns, but in a largely pragmatic way. When I discovered the Reactive Manifesto and toolkits, like Akka, that formalised and extended these principles and patterns, I was excited to use these superior technologies, combined with cloud computing and IoT, to solve problems related to renewable energy.

I will describe why I think Reactive Systems are such a natural fit for IoT. Then I will enumerate the elements that define a state-of-the-art IoT platform. I will conclude with speculation on where I think cloud and edge computing platforms for IoT are heading in the near future.

 

Read More 

 

By Colin Breck

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment